Friday, November 12, 2010

Journal #9 NETS-T (2 & 4)


Journal #9 

Is It Time to Switch to Digital Textbooks by Meg Griffin and Michael Cady.

APA Citation:
Griffin, M., & Cady, M. Is it time to switch to digital textbooks?. (2010, November). Learning & Leading with Technology, 38, Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-and-leading/digital-edition-november.aspx

Summary/Reflection:
The main argument about this article is about considering the option of switching to digital textbooks. This article comments about how this issue has raised so many concerns between educators. For example, some people think that schools need to make that change to prepare students for today’s world. Also, supporters say that using a text that is more interactive and up to date it can definitely be more appealing for students than a dusty old tome. However, the opposing side says that using digital textbooks can be more expensive for students and many won’t be willing to pay that much.

Question #1:
Describe your opinion about this topic: is it time to switch to digital textbooks?
I would say maybe not now, but it could be very soon. In my opinion, I would not like to switch to digital textbooks because I like to read more hard cover textbooks than digital textbooks. When I read big online articles, I tend to lose my focus, however if I read and have a textbook in my hands I put more attention to what I am reading. For me it is easier to read something that I am actually touching, than just visually seeing it online because I can comprehend it better.  
In addition, we are not in a time to switch to digital textbooks because we have to consider some things such as, that digital textbooks require batteries or Wi-Fi; not all students have the advantage of having a computer at home; and that it is hard for schools to fund these types of learning tools. Therefore, I believe that textbooks should be enhanced by online resources and digital technology; however, I do not believe that paper textbooks should be substituted for digital textbooks. We don’t need to make learning more complicated or completely inaccessible; instead, we have to make it easier and affordable.

Question #2:
Why do you think so many people agree that it is time to switch to digital textbooks?
Many people agree to this new change because most educators believe that students would be highly motivated to read if it involves technology so that’s why they want to embrace it. Also, because students would have the opportunity to have their textbooks with them wherever they go, this would make it easier for them. Likewise, people agree that a digital text can easily allow for pronunciation guides or/and vocabulary support for students who are reading below grade level. Therefore, they think that digital textbooks will enhance more students learning opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment